Hotel Re! Pearl's Hill Serves Up Disappointing Set

Heard my parents rave about Hotel Re's Abalone Laksa and I've also heard the same thing from a friend, so I thought that I'd be treated to a good meal when I went to Hotel Re! last week for dinner. First shocker was that it was super empty. My family was the only ones there until another couple trickled in about 10 minutes later. I like how the restaurant/cafe is named Re!Fill ;)

I ordered their Western set because at S$21.80++, it was a lot more worth it as most of their mains cost S$16++ and more. The set comes with 3 courses (soup/salad, main, dessert and free flow of coffee/tea).

Warm Basil Paprika Prawn Salad
For starters, I tried their Prawn Salad which came with 3 fried prawns served on a bed of greens, walnuts, raw mango and a sesame seed dressing. Where's the basil and paprika? Where's the avocado? To make things worse, the prawns were not fresh.

I looked over to my dad's plate of Duck Breast Mesclun Salad and it was exactly like mine. Except that the prawns were replaced by slices of duck.

Chicken Chop with Garlic Prawn Aglio Olio
The prawn for this dish was fresh. Thank goodness. The chicken chop was really salty but I guess this was balanced by the spaghetti, which unfortunately was overcooked and therefore, not al dente. For an aglio olio, it was very saucy. Haha. I think they added a bit too much gravy from the chicken when they were pan frying the pasta. Tastes more local than Italian for sure. Also, what's with the dismal pieces of shredded vegetables? I didn't finish the dish.

Brownie with vanilla ice cream
When this came, all of us had a bit of a shock. I do know that pictures in the menu are only for illustration purposes and actual dish may not turn out looking the same. Also, as a set, they have further portioned it down. However, this is ridiculous. The brownie is literally a square. Which was so crumbly that I think I would've preferred some artistic play and giving me chocolate soil. However, at least the ice cream was good enough to save the meal. Some what.

Will I go back again? Maybe. Just for the Abalone Laksa.

Hotel Re!
175A Chin Swee Road
Singapore 169879

Website: http://www.hotelre.com.sg/index.html

Comments