First Successful Attempt at Poached Egg


I've been craving poached egg with hollandaise sauce for ages and since I'm on medical leave this whole week, I decided to try my hand at it!  Tada...my first successful attempt!  It came out perfect!

Burst the yolk and it came out runny. Yum!  I topped it off with a bit of black pepper and mayo (I didn't have hollandaise sauce so this was the best substitute) and paired it with roast beef ham.  Mm...there's just something about poached egg that just makes you happy.  :)  So here's how I did my poached egg:


  1. Simmer water at low heat (no bubbles)
  2. Add a tiny bit of white/ cider vinegar.  Not too much as you don't want sour eggs
  3. Crack egg onto a shallow dish/ bowl
  4. Swirl the water with a spatula/ spoon
  5. Gently pour egg into the swirling warm water
  6. Do not panic if the water turns murky
  7. Wait for about 2 minutes
  8. Swirl water gently again and then scoop egg up with skimmer spoon
The key to successful poached eggs is the water.  It must never bubble.  Timing-wise, use your judgement because some eggs may be larger than others.  But for mine, I cooked them for about 2 minutes

Have fun poaching your eggs and do share any wonderful recipes!

Comments