Healthier Orh Nee (芋泥) aka Sweet Yam Paste


Ok, I admit...this photo of my yam paste looks terrible and doesn't do justice to this traditional Teochew dessert...but I don't care because it tastes better than it looks. LOL. I didn't have any ginkgo nuts so this recipe doesn't have it but I honestly LOVE ginkgo nuts so please try to add them into your final dish! This is healthier because I didn't use lard, used oil sparingly and I used probiotic honey and stevia instead of white sugar. The below recipe serves 2-3 pax.

Ingredients:
  • ¼ yam (approx 300g), diced
  • 1 tbsp shallot oil (I used olive oil so that it's slightly healthier than vegetable oil)
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tsp stevia
  • 3 tbsp probiotic honey (or any honey you prefer)
  • coconut cream (not milk)
Method: 
  1. Steam your yam for about 30 minutes until they're soft in the middle
  2. Mash with a hand masher or put it in a blender, until you get a paste
  3. Mix in the honey, stevia and oils until smooth
  4. Taste. You may want to add in more honey or stevia to get your preferred sweetness
  5. Top it off with coconut cream and serve!
If you prefer a less thick paste (like the one above), then add in a bit more oil and a bit of the coconut cream or even milk when mashing. 

Someone asked me whether they can boil the yam and the answer is NO. You want the yam to retain its flavour after mashing. Boiling the yam would only make its flavour leech into the water!

This dish is so easy to make and so satisfying. Hope you guys try it one day!


Image: Melissa Fann

Comments