Simple Christmas Dinner for 4

For some weird reason, this year's Christmas dinner with the family suddenly became my responsibility. I think it has something to do with the fact that a friend gave me 5kg worth of wagyu (uncooked) as a Christmas present.


So here's what I ended up cooking for Christmas dinner: roasted vegetables (broccoli, sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots), about 2.5kg of wagyu and a roasted chicken. Recipes will be below.


What we drank! Yes...we had the bubbly...thanks to my bro's contribution to it all. Oh Rose wines/ champagne...how I love thee.


The wagyu!!! This was cooking in my oven for almost 2 hours and check out the oil collected at the bottom of the dish that I used!! The wagyu was roasted very simply with salt, pepper and dried rosemary. I followed the recipe from ABC recipes. Turned out really tender, which is probably more so from the amount of marbling in the meat. Oh my. We couldn't finish this lot and had a lot of leftovers which my mum further sliced up and stir fried with teriyaki sauce. Idea!

As for the chicken, I marinated the whole bird with:
1 can of beer
1 tsp of rock salt
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of light soy sauce
1 tsp of sugar
1 tbsp of honey
5 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 star anises
4 garlic cloves

After marinating for either 4 hours or overnight, preheat your oven to 180 deg C and roast it for about 1 hour.


For dessert, the brother had brought back mince tarts from Australia! I'm really not quite fond of these...especially if they contain orange (which they did) as I just like sticking to orange juice or eating the fruit itself.

I still have 2.5kg of frozen wagyu in my freezer and I honestly have no idea what I'm gonna do with it. Everyone tells me to cook it for Chinese New Year...but..in what way? I don't have those professional slicing machines to slice my beef for sukiyaki/steamboat. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Comments