Sliced Beef with Asian Mushroom Sauce


It's not the most visually appealing dish that I've cooked so far but this is one of the most delicious that I've cooked.  This is NOT a stir-fry so for this dish, please use sirloin/tenderloin/rib-eye steaks.  In my case, I used tenderloin.  What else would you need?

Ingredients:
3 steaks
3 shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup mirin
1 dessert spoon oyster sauce
1 squirt of Okonomiyaki sauce (or plum sauce)
drizzle of truffle oil (optional)

I cooked my steaks the Heston Blumenthal way, which is to have a searing hot pan and then cooking your steaks by constantly flipping them every 10-15 seconds.  I chose 10 seconds because my steaks were quite thin.  Heston's reasoning for cooking steaks this way is so that the steaks will have a nice crust while maintaining the pinkness inside.  I have to say, he is right.  My steaks were juicy, moist and very delicious after resting for 2 minutes.

For the sauce, add more olive oil into the pan that you cooked the beef in and then fry the minced garlic till golden brown.  Add in the mushrooms and stir fry it lightly before adding the mirin.  While it sizzles, add in the oyster sauce and okonomiyaki sauce.  Stir further and add in any beef juice from the resting plate.  Add in a bit of water if the sauce is too thick.  Pour over your steaks and serve.

Comments