Baked Miso Salmon with Baby Spinach Salad


I wasn't very hungry and despite my truffle fries craving, I decided to be healthy.  All fats in this dish are good ones! :) No frying involved and everything was completed within 20 minutes!!  I recently bought a bottle of white truffle oil so pardon if the next few dishes have truffle oil in all of them...it's my current obsession.  Mmm...love it to bits!!

Back to my dinner of baked miso salmon.  This is inspired by Nobu's famous black cod miso but I ate up my piece of cod so I used salmon instead.  My recipe is (as usual) super easy and suitable for lazy people or busy folks too. You'll need:
  • a nice cod or salmon fillet
  • 1 tablespoon white miso (or 2 dessert spoons)
  • 1 dessert spoon honey 
  • 1 tablespoon mirin (or any sweet wine)
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 1 serving of baby spinach leaves
  • drizzle of balsamic vinegar
  • drizzle of white truffle oil
  • Swiss gruyere cheese shavings (you can choose any other preferred cheese)
The salad is easy to assemble so I'm just going to put the steps on preparing the fish now:
  1. In a small bowl, mix the miso, mirin, sugar and honey until smooth.  Taste it and add sugar/honey if it is too salty.
  2. Place thawed salmon on a baking tray. Slather the miso mixture on the top and bake the fish for about 6-10 minutes, depending on the thickness.
  3. Prepare the salad while the fish bakes.
  4. Plate the fish once cooked
Only 4 steps?! Seee...it's THAT easy.  You can choose to marinate the fish in the miso mixture for 10-15 minutes prior baking.  If you need a staple, I suggest eating this with Japanese rice or white rice.  It needs something really bland to counter the salty miso.  I love how the miso will turn a nice caramel shade of brown on the fish due to the sugars.  The balsamic vinegar also helped cut back on some of the saltiness, which is why I chose to have a balsamic vinaigrette for my salad.  Super healthy, no?

Comments