Potato Salad


I love potato salad and I love making it!  I tend to poo-poo most potato salads made outside because potato + mayo does not make a good potato salad!!  I made this potato salad to go with my brown rice salad for my Sunday picnic by the beach so its simple and a picnic staple in my opinion.

To make a good potato salad, you'll need:
  • 4-6 small Fingerling or local (ie. Singapore or Malaysian) potatoes
  • 1 egg
  • cracked black pepper (must be black. White pepper does not cut it)
  • salt
  • Mayonnaise (I prefer to use the Japanese Cupie brand)
  • 1 rasher of bacon or 1/4 cup of bacon bits (optional)
  • Sprinkle of garlic powder
  1. Boil potatoes till they're soft. Cut into bite-sized chunks
  2. Boil egg until it's 90% cooked.  Takes about 5 min.  Don't worry if you over/ under cook the egg. Potato salads are forgiving that way
  3. Toast/ pan fry the bacon till it's crisp. I prefer to use a non-stick pan so that I do not have to put in additional oil. Once crispy, cut it into really tiny pieces...just like bacon bits
  4. Peel the egg shell away and smash the egg up in a bowl
  5. Add in the potato and mayo
  6. Toss until well mixed. Add in bacon, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Note: use less salt if there's bacon going in.
  7. Put it into the fridge and serve when cold.
The above serves for about 3 people...again, depending on what other foods you're serving it with.  I even used purple potatoes in this dish so go ahead and experiment in terms of mayo vs. potato etc.  Everything took me about 30 min to prepare and mainly due to waiting for the potatoes to cook.  Otherwise, it's really simple!





It's so good...even my dog is eyeing it after his swim!

Comments