Avocado 'Ice' - Mimicking Bing Bian


There's this new dessert place called 'Bing Bian' and I've been making a few trips down to eat their lovely desserts.  You can read my review on them here.  They say that imitation is the best compliment and so...yes, I mimicked their avocado ice but I substituted the avocado ice with actual avocado...


That's a whole avocado in there baby!! :) Anyway, results wise, it tasted really similar which made me really happy.  I prefer using the whole avocado compared to the avocado ice because avocado has a very subtle creamy flavour which was wiped out in the snow ice version.  So, how did I recreate this very simple dish?

  1. Dissolve about 10g of Gula Melaka (palm sugar) in about 2 tbsp of water and boil till it becomes a syrup. Leave it to cool.
  2. Smash some ginger snap biscuits with a mortar and pestle OR put them in a plastic bag and beat the heck out of it with a rolling pin/ pestle.  I used Arnott's Ginger Snap biscuits.
  3. Halve your avocado and use a spoon to spoon out the creamy goodness into a bowl
  4. Sprinkle the ginger biscuit crumbs over the avocado
  5. Open a can/bag of original flavoured Nata de Coco. Drain and put as much of it you want onto the avocado.
  6. Drizzle the whole thing with the gula melaka syrup. 
  7. Serve
Dead easy, isn't it?  A rough calorie count of the dessert is 438 calories so yes...it's a meal in a bowl but such delightful happiness.  Avocado is good for your skin and hair while nata de coco is rich in vitamins and fibre.  Haha...I'll just use any excuse for a good dessert!

Comments