Review - COMO Cuisine at Dempsey


I was invited to the media launch of a new supplement in Singapore - Tru Niagen, which was held at COMO Cuisine at Dempsey. But since this is my food blog, I'll be reviewing the food part of whole event while I'll blog about the supplement in my lifestyle blog www.melfann.com.

Located at 18A Dempsey Road, COMO is relatively conveniently located near the main Dempsey Road, further past Huber's Butchery. It's nestled among lush greenery and is unexpectedly welcoming once you've entered the main entrance.

They do have a private room that sits about 20 pax and that was where we were seated for the media launch. I immediately liked the decor and ambience, which was fresh and inviting, modern but yet with touches of shabby chic.


I have no idea what drink we were served but I heard 'mango' and decided to try it. It was quite tasty but I found out later that it can't be found on the menu. Others also tried their "Green & Clean" drink which was a concoction of green apples, fennel, cucumber, spinach, celery, spirulina, sunflower seeds and macadamia nuts. Uh...I got thrown off by the celery. Ugh. Not my favourite vegetable to consume raw.

The cuisine is fusion, where Executive Chef Timothy de Souza uses flavours that are inspired by Singapore's melting pot. The menu that we ate was specially tailored for the media launch so I'm unable to give you prices but I reckon that it is still a good indication of what you can expect from the rest of their menu and whether you should even give them a try.


For appetisers, we had pan seared scallops with a pomelo salad and served with a tamarind chilli sauce. I found this very interesting because it felt like a deconstruction of the Indonesian gado-gado but made lighter with the zesty pomelo and all these went very well with the scallops.


For the mains, I had their Rangers Valley Sirloin (S$42++) which was served with frites (fancy French word for fries) and cafe de Paris. Yes, there's a piece of steak hiding under that foliage. The fries were huge chunks at the bottom and reminded me a little more like roasted potatoes rather than French fries. The steak itself was rather disappointing. I'm not sure whether it's because we were at an event or not, but we were not asked for our preferred doneness and my steak came medium well. As a result, it was a tad dry and not very tender. It wasn't chewy, mind you, but I like my steaks medium rare and juicy.

If the salad on top of my steak wasn't enough, there was a side of Broccolini (S$9++) for us to share and that was really not too bad. Nonetheless, I reckon you can't go wrong with stir fried vegetables with garlic chilli sauce and a squeeze of lemon.


Now, let's talk about dessert. We had a choice between Chocolate Tartlet (S$12++; subject to flavour changes) which was served with summer berries and milk ice cream OR the Sumatra Honey Flan that was served with chamomile pineapples and buttered almonds. I chose the latter because it just sounded a lot more promising and I also found out later that it's not on their regular menu!

Sorry I didn't take any photos of the Chocolate Tartlet as my neighbour had already taken a bite of it before offering a bite to me. The pastry of the tart was a tad too hard but the chocolate filling and milk ice cream were really good. The chocolate filling didn't feel too cloying in the mouth and it was nicely balanced with the milk ice cream. And once you feel that it is getting a tad too sweet, just pop some of the blueberries or raspberries to even it out!

As for the Honey Flan. Mmm...this was really good. It tasted like salted caramel pudding and the buttered almond just made the dish seem a little richer, with added crunch. I didn't care too much for the cubes of pineapples but I could see that the chef wanted some contrast in flavours - again, if it got a bit too sweet or 'boring' on your tastebuds, there's something leaning towards the tart side on the plate.

Overall, I would not mind visiting COMO Cuisine again just to try out the rest of the menu, although I wish their prices were a little more wallet-friendly.

COMO Cuisine
18A Dempsey Road
Tel. no.: 1800 301 6688 (local calls only)
Website: http://comodempsey.sg/restaurant/como-cuisine

Opening hours:
Lunch  Mon - Fri  12pm - 4pm
Brunch  Sat, Sun & Public Holidays  10am - 4pm
Dinner  Mon - Sun  4pm - 10.30pm (last seating at 9.30pm)

____________________________________
Photo credits: Watson's and In Chef Mode

Comments