Grilled Salmon Head with Sweet Potato Mash and Broccoli


This is not the first time you're seeing a salmon head here as I've cooked a salmon shioyaki before. The difference is that Meidi-ya now knows that we love to eat the salmon heads too and have increased the price from $1.50 for half a head to $4 for a full salmon head. Oh well....it's still cheap.

The Grilled Salmon Head part is really easy - salt it and bake or grill it for 10-15 minutes. I used frozen broccoli here so I did grill my vegetables together with the fish with a bit of salt and sesame oil for added flavour. Came out perfect.

As for the Sweet Potato Mash, my recipe is vegan-friendly so you can cook it for your vegan or vegetarian friends.

Ingredients:
1 sweet potato
2 tbsp almond milk (unsweetened)
1 tsp coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Cut your sweet potato up into cubes and either boil or steam them until they're soft
  2. If you boiled them, drain the water before mashing the sweet potato up
  3. Add in the almond milk and coconut oil. Continue mashing until it's a bit more fluffy.
  4. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve
Some recipes call for maple syrup for added flavour to the mash but I chose not to do so because I wanted it to be a little less sweet. This is great as a complex carb that will help you last through to the next meal!

Comments