Review - Kinsahi Japanese Restaurant (KSL City)

Some friends and I decided to make a day trip to Johor Bahru (JB) just to spend the afternoon and evening there. Like most typical Singaporeans, we go there for cheap and good food as well as services such as massage and even to do our nails!

But since this is my food blog, let's talk about food. We went to Kinsahi Japanese Restaurant at KSL City, which is supposedly a premium restaurant in JB. The decor and ambience of the place is certainly quite nice and plush, with an artificial 'river' in the middle of the restaurant. I don't suggesting sitting too close to the river as the splashback feels like someone randomly spitting at you.

What we ordered:

Chawanmushi with salmon roe

Agedashi tofu

The chawanmushi was ok. You can't really go quite wrong with this. The agedashi tofu wasn't great. I had an issue with the tofu used as it had a slight sour aftertaste while one of my friends felt that it wasn't crispy enough. I do know that it's tough to make this dish so let's close one eye.

Mixed tempura

I quite liked the green leafy one. I can't remember what leaf it was but it's not your typical Shiso and I think the name was quite local. That I think is worth snacking on. The prawns were ok.

Zaru soba

The soba was overcooked! It didn't have a bit of the bite and was soggy. Sad...since I love my soba.

Sashimi Moriwase for 3 pax

Some of the sashimi slices weren't cold and my friends said that they've tasted fresher ones.

Chirashi sushi


The Chirashi sushi came with mayonnaise sauce, so if that's not your thing...you may find it a tad weird on the taste buds because it is meant to be just raw fish on vinegared rice.

There were 3 of us so we managed to finish everything that we ordered, with no leftovers. In terms of prices, it is not exactly cheap. I would say that it costs about half or 3/4 of what it would've cost in Singapore but in terms of quality, it was a tad disappointing.

Would we go back there again? Perhaps not. I think there are better places for Japanese in JB and we will hunt down for it!

Kinsahi Japanese Restaurant
LG-01 Level Lower Ground, KSL City
33 Jalan Seladang Taman Abad
Johor Bahru 80250
Johor, Malaysia



Comments