Slow Roasted Pork Belly

I was really inspired by this video of Gordon Ramsay's Slow Roasted Pork Belly that I even asked my mum to buy pork belly when she went to the market last weekend.

A few differences from what I cooked and what Ramsay's recipe required:
- instead of fennel, I used pearl onion and ginger
- instead of cardamon, I used all spice powder and thyme
- instead of white wine, I used beer

Because I used a much smaller piece of pork belly, I reduced the cooking time to 1 hour. Perhaps that was a big mistake. The skin was not as crispy as I would've liked it to be and in fact, it was a little chewy.

The meat, however, was really tender and juicy. It soaked up a lot of the taste of the spices but it wasn't over powering. The gravy was also really delicious.

If I were to repeat this dish, I would've put it in the oven for the full 2 hours and topped up the gravy with some stock/beer after 1 hour so that the meat wouldn't dry up and there would be ample gravy.

Oh well. Good experiment. It was still delicious!

Comments