Expensive Delicious Italian at Osteria Mozza

The family and I went to watch the musical "Singin' In The Rain" at Marina Bay Sands so we decided to eat at the restaurant just opposite the theatre so as to save time. That restaurant is split into two sections: Osteria Mozza and Pizza Mozza. As you can tell from the names, Pizza Mozza serves...pizza, while the other one serves up all the other lovely dishes that Italy is known for.

With compliments of the chef
After making our order, we were presented with a lovely starter of ricotta cheese with minced olives with basil. Was quite nice but the dollop of cheese was so high that I didn't know how to grab it off the plate. Ended up using my fork.

For our 'proper' starters, we ordered Prosciutto ham with Smoked Bufala Mozzarella (S$25++). I love love love both so I was happily chomping away at this.

We ordered the entree sized Bavette pasta (S$52++) and they kindly portioned it out for us as we had told them that we were going to share. It's a very simple pasta that's cooked with black pepper and sprinkled with lots of sheep cheese. It was good but I would've preferred just a little less pepper. Also, for $52...I was expecting a little more. Maybe a protein or mushroom?

For our 'secondi', we ordered the Iberico Pork Chop (S$68++) in the entreƩ size instead of the mains. Ok...I was super impressed with this dish. The pork was really tender and if I didn't know better, I wouldn't have thought that it was pork. I loved the fennel and onion that had been cooked in Sambuca and as weird as this sounds, I actually loved it more than the pork! I kind of wished that the pork had taken on some of the flavours from the gravy.

The other secondi that we ordered was the Sea Trout cooked in fig leaves and wild mushrooms (S$96++). The server recommended that we take the full portion as 1 piece of fish was really small (in her opinion). I honestly was not very impressed with this dish and it's probably because I ate salmon for lunch so the trout tasted pretty similar to me. However, I really enjoyed the wild mushrooms which took on a slightly smokey taste from the leaves as well as from the sauce that it was cooked in. Reminded me of orh luak (oyster omelette) after dipping in the chilli sauce (minus the spice), which is usually slightly vinegared. I was happily finishing up on the mushrooms while I left the fish to my mum and bro.

For 3 people, the dishes above was quite filling! Maybe it's our Asian stomachs. Our server was a little surprised because she originally recommended that we go for the full portion of Pork Chops. Thank goodness we didn't.

The total bill came up to be about S$280, which is rather pricey because for $94/pax, I could've gotten A LOT more and at the same quality from other restaurants such as Imperial Treasure or even Iggy's. I know that Osteria Mozza has won several awards and is even recognised as one of the top restaurants in Asia...but...still not too impressed with the prices.

Osteria Mozza
2 Bayfront Avenue
B1-42-46, Galleria Level
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands
Singapore 018956

Tel: +65 6688 8868
Website: http://singapore.osteriamozza.com

Hours:
Mon to Sat  5 - 11pm
Sun (brunch)  12 - 2.30pm

Comments