Easy Pea & Spinach Soup


Despite its appearance, this pea and spinach soup is really delicious! It is suitable for vegetarians and vegans as there is absolutely NO meat and animal product inside. That is why I too was so surprised that its tastiness. It's not a regular pea soup because I didn't use creme fraiche and I added spinach, seaweed and enoki mushrooms because these vegetables are naturally tasty and adds more flavour. I cooked enough for 2 and this is so easy that you can prepare this within 10 min. The wash up will take longer thanks to the food processor. The recipe below is for 2 pax.

Ingredients:
2 cups  Spinach
1 cup    Peas (I prefer to use frozen baby peas)
50g      Enoki mushrooms
1 tbsp   Wakame seaweed
half an onion, minced
1 1/2 cups water or enough to cover the vegetables in a small pot
salt & pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Bring the water to boil and add in all the vegetables and mushrooms
  2. Boil until the peas are soft (should take around 3-5 minutes)
  3. Pan fry the onion until they're translucent. Add this into the boiling mixture
  4. Blitz everything in the food processor
  5. Return it into the pot and bring it to a boil again
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste
If you're eating this as a main meal, you can pair it with garlic bread or toast. Otherwise, add in some croutons to give it a bit of crunch.

For the meatarians, substitute the water with any stock of your choice but choose one without MSG if you're adding the seaweed because seaweed naturally contains MSG. If you like a creamier texture, go ahead and add in a dollop of creme fraiche or normal cream. If you want it thicker, I suggest adding chickpeas but this would mean that you'll need to boil it for around 10-15 minutes instead of 5.

Updated on 20 Sep 2014
As I made enough for 2 people, I had another bowl of this soup for brunch the next day. As I was hungrier, I added a cheese toast which made it yummier! :)

Comments