Lobster Bisque Risotto


It was a nice quiet afternoon where mum and bro were overseas so there were no lunch plans for dad and I. Thus, I decided to do what I'm good at - 1 pot meals. I went a little lazy and used a can of lobster bisque soup for this dish. Really good for the lazy cooks.

Ingredients:
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 chicken thigh (optional, I wasn't planning on a pure seafood risotto)
  • 6 prawns, shelled
  • 1 squid, sliced
  • 1 cup of frozen baby peas
  • 1.5 cups of risotto rice
  • 1 can of lobster bisque (I used Baxter's with whiskey)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Fry the garlic with olive oil and once it turns golden brown, toss in the squid and prawns.
  2. Take out the squid once they turn 90% white. Take out the prawns when they curl and turn completely pink.
  3. Stir fry the chicken and peas. Once the chicken is half cooked, add in the rice and ensure that the rice is lightly coated with the garlic and oil.
  4. Pour in the lobster bisque and half a can of water/stock.
  5. Boil the risotto until it's al dente.
  6. Add in salt and pepper to taste
  7. Serve

Do stir the rice regularly when it boils. I recommend using a non-stick pot so that clean up is a lot easier. I added a splash of vodka but that's because I like the taste but it's optional. As you can tell, I didn't add in Parmesan cheese, unlike my previous risotto dish.

The easy answer is that I didn't have any in the fridge. Also, I realise that if you're using a thick soup as your stock, like I've done, it's not necessary. There's no tomato paste involved in this quick and easy risotto either.

If you want to make this risotto taste more rich, add in milk/cream and then when serving, add a dollop of mayonnaise or cream on top. This lunch was easy and very satisfying too!

Comments